Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We're starting initial Alpha Testing. See the "Call To Arms" post in the News & Announcements section for more details!

Recording Alpha Gameplay (rough guide)

I'm unsure if there are many requirements for the videos (bitrate, upload location etc etc) but hopefully I can put those in when I find out...
personally, i would say that 1280x720@30fps is adequate with a bitrate minimum of 2500-ish. whatever program you want to use should be fine, as long as it encodes the videos into a common video format.

Open Broadcasting Software

open obs and it will greet you with a screen like this

go to settings at the bottom right of the main window and click output on the left of the next. pick which encoder you'd like to use for your video -I'd suggest picking any hardware setting, no matter which one it is. I'd also suggest you use a decent bitrate (at absolute least 2500 for 720p@30fps for software encoding) Set your recording path here too so you know where the video is going to end up.

next click on the video tab on the left. you can record at whatever resolution you desire. If you're using software x264 encoding, I'd suggest downscaling to 1280x720@30fps to reduce the strain on your cpu if you're computer is on the slower side. filter won't matter so much for this.

and last but not least, it's easier to set up some hotkeys so you dont have to tab in and out of deadhold if you want to start/stop recording

if you will be using a mic in your recording, dont forget to set it in the audio tab!

now go back to the main window. click + on the bottom left box to make a scene, then hit + on the other box to add a capture method. normally you would use Game Capture over anything because it's the best performing, but that doesnt seem to be working for me when I play Deadhold at the moment so I'm going to use Window Capture. just click the dropdown box in the window capture options and tick deadhold's window

now just click OK and you can minimize OBS if you desire and use the hotkeys you set earlier. You're now ready to record your gameplay with OBS! 

Comments

• edited January 3
    nVidia specific - Geforce Experience (previously Shadowplay)

this is the easiest and most convenient way to record your gameplay.

download GFE from http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience if you dont have it already.

once it's installed, an overlay should be enabled by hitting Alt+Z which will look like this

As you can see, this is very straight forward. you can simply click record/start to begin recording. Even the Low preset in the customize tab will have decent quality for videos.

Also, don't forget to pick where you will be saving the videos in the options on the far right

• edited January 3
    AMD specific - Crimson ReLive

download the latest drivers from AMD's site and this will be included in the installer

it's pretty much a copy of nvidias shadowplay, which is awesome because that means it's also easy to use.

right click on your desktop and click radeon settings. click the ReLive button on the bottom of the control panel and enable it.

the hotkey for the overlay is the same as GFE (Alt+Z) which you can also change in this screen.
    the recording tab also has presets available - which all should be suitable for recording playtest videos.

when you hit Alt+Z ingame then, this overlay menu should show up.

as stated before, the AMD and NV tools for recording are far away the easiest and most convenient to use so I'd suggest sticking to them instead of OBS for simplicity's sake.
    There isn't much to cover with the 2 options because everything is very straightforward... I hope this short guide has helped anyone who may have any questions.